Aug 22, 2010

My Find

Hello. For anyone who doesn't already know me, I'm Katherine Marie Woods. I'm a historian. Sort of. I don't exactly have a job as a historian. I work as a cashier for now. I guess I'd have to stay history is more of a passion of mine than an actual job.

I'm sorry if I am doing this wrong. I've never written a blog before. I don't even have a Facebook. Wierd, I know. I just prefer reading things off of paper to reading things off a screen.

You may be wondering, therefore, why I am making a blog. Well, it's not really a blog for myself. It is a blog to document the history of a man named Aigon Silverwind. How I came across his history is a rather interesting story, and one that I will tell in the next paragraph or two or three or however long it takes. Be patient. Thank you.

I was going through some historical non-fiction books at the library a couple weeks ago, trying to find something that I had not read. The library in my neighborhood is a rather small one, and the history section is especially tiny. After a failed search, I asked the librarian, Mrs. Hopkins, to let me know if they got anything new, or something was returned that I hadn't checked out yet. Since I was a frequent visitor there, she kindly agreed and I went home.

The next morning I found a package outside the door of my apartment. Inside was a note and an old looking leather bound book. The note read:

Ms. Woods,
I heard from a friend that you have an interest in history. The book I have included in this package is a journal that has been passed down to me through many generations. The story of how the diary itself got to my family is a special one, but it is also unimportant at this time. You may believe the things written within, and you may not. But that is also unimportant. Perhaps you are wondering why I am giving this diary to you? Once again, it is unimportant. My reasons, and I do have them, are my own. I have great expectations for you, and though revealing them now would ruin everything, I will be most dissapointed if you do not fulfill them. Please keep that in mind as you read and know that I will be keeping an eye on you.
Sincerely,
A Friendly Stranger

I visited the library later that day to ask whether Mrs. Hopkins had delivered the package as a prank, but she denied having ever seen the book before. 

But, despite the mystery surrounding the diary, or perhaps because of it, I decided to read it and see what I thought. And it was amazing. Quite the story. Is it true? I believe it could be. However, to believe the contents of this mysterious journal you have to open your mind and truly realize that anything is possible.

I knew right away that I had to share this amazing discovery. But seeing as the book was hardly likely to get a title under history or even non-fiction, I decided that publishing the book itself was out. So, here I am, making this blog. I will post a new entry from the journal every week, assuming I remember of course, and will take nothing out and add nothing in. This is coming straight from the pages of the mysterious diary left outside my front door.

And now, I will begin posting the first entry, and you will begin deciding for yourself whether or not these words are true.

No comments:

Post a Comment