Aug 24, 2010

Another Entry

Okay, I just couldn't wait a week to post the next entry. I guess I'll just post whenever I have time. It does take a while to type them up however, especially considering the text is old and somewhat hard to read. Here is the second entry:

Stellas 15, 296 e.m.
Day 2,
I'm out in the countryside now. Not to the dangerous area yet of course, but we've covered quite a bit of ground. We stopped in Teris for the night, one of the small towns on the road to Zetheris. It's already quite late, but I have to record the day's events before retiring to the room I have rented this night at The Hilltop Watch.

First, I should probably tell about the "guards" my cousin hired. I must remember never to let him hire anyone for me again. Oh sure, most of them seem strong enough. But I question their loyalties and definitely their upbringing. They are all strange. My cousin must deal with some strange sorts to have gotten hold of them.

There are seven in all. The strangest thing about them, to me at least, is that some of them are women! This is not a game! I wish my cousin had realized that. The open road will be no place for a woman, especially not one masquerading as a guard!

An old magician by the name of Zillan Winterburn was the first of my new companions I met. He was wandering through my kitchen, thoroughly distressing the cook. He would talk somewhat absently about the value of herbs in spellcraft while opening cupboards and going through their contents. Every now and then he would pause, take out a jar and claim the contents therein were a regent he was missing. He would then ask the cook if he might take "just a pinch" and before she could even answer he would empty half the jar into one of his many pouches! I finally got him out of the kitchen only to come face to face with the next of my seven guards.

His name is Daeroth Goldsun, a former Knight of the Third Star who was temporarily out of work in the knighthood because of the competition between his order and the Knights of the Rising Dawn. He had heard the cook and I yelling at that fool of a wizard and had come to see what the problem was. After hearing my explanation he began scolding Zillan about theft and the intrusion of privacy. Once he had stopped and Zillan left the room, I turned to thank Daeroth. But before I could even get the words out he started lecturing me on diplomacy and kindness to my fellow man! The knight should truly know better than to speak to his superior in such a tone.

Daeroth finally ceased his tirade and I went to the wagon to make sure everything was in order before we began the journey. There I first laid eyes on the fair lady Brilynn. I was immediatly captivated by the way she moved and the way her long black hair flowed down her back. Her dark eyes seemed almost to glow as she walked gracefully over to introduce herself. It was in that introduction that I realized she wasn't for me. She gave me the name Brilynn Shadowblood. Anyone in their right mind dreads that last name, for it is the mark of an assassin. Only then did I notice how black her leather armor was, and the two daggers sheathed at her side. She smiled when she saw that I understood, and, though the smile was infinitely beautiful, the menace behind it drove me away from her faster than from Daeroth after his harsh words. I turned around to flee and immediatly bumped into a tiny halfling who had apparently been standing just behind me.

He introduced himself as Len Larksong, master thief, and expressed his joy at being hired for this mission. Bright green eyes stared at me over an impish grin and I knew that he would be trouble. It didn't help when I discovered that my pocket watch had somehow made it's way into his tiny hand. Of course he returned it forthwith once I told him who it rightfully belonged to.

Soon afterward, while going about the final preparations, I came across a young elf maiden and a half elf man conversing together. Or rather, the girl was conversing. The half elf simply sat and listened, every now and then reaching up to feed a chunk of meat to a falcon on his shoulder. The one-sided conversation stopped when they noticed me approaching, and the girl introduced herself as Kyrainna Lilystar. She seemed little more than a child to me, but it is hard to tell with elves. She was, at least, new to the world outside the elven lands which was obvious by the wide-eyed stares she gave everything, and her strong elvish accent. The half elf then gave me the name Kadon Leafsinger and immediatly fell silent, watching me with eyes that seemed to mirror those of the falcon. They seemed to watch everything and keep track of it for later use. Kyrainna explained that she was a druidess, though new to "the outlands" as I had thought. Kadon was apparently a ranger, but he gave no more information about himself than that.

Finally, I met Kayissa Flamedance. The very way she moved radiated danger to the highest degree. Of course, her coloring didn't help matters either. She has blood red skin, and hair only a slightly darker shade of the same color. Her eyes are a very light blue, setting a vivid contrast against her skin. I asked her if she was human, and these are the exact words she replied with, "Human? It depends if you are my friend or my enemy. To my friends I will be of whatever race they desire. I'll admit though, I don't have many of those. To my enemies I am simply the essence of fear and pain. Take your pick." Her tone had an alarming edge to it, and her expression was all seriousness. As if she wasn't working for me! Who do these people think they are?

Well I suppose there is no use complaining about it now. Either we'll all figure out some way to get along, or we'll all die.

We set out on the road this morning, Daeroth driving the wagon. I sat beside him, though we didn't engage in much conversation. He seemed deep in thought as he drove along the path. Our two horses followed along, tied to the back of the wagon. Kadon rode ahead alone, apparently scouting out the open road, though we could see quite a ways in any direction over the grassy plains. Kayissa and Brilynn road slightly ahead of the wagon, ignoring each other. Kyrainna and Len rode together beside the wagon, talking nonstop to each other. I was sure that if there were any bandits within five miles, they'd be led to us by the sounds of those two chattering. Zillan rode a small ways back, away from everyone else. He kept eyeing certain plants, and every now and again would leap off of his mount to gather one.

All in all, the journey to Teris passed without any event worth speaking of. And as that is about all that happened today, I am finished writing until tommorow.

Aigon Silverwind,
Traveling Merchant

No comments:

Post a Comment